Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Committee
Dr. Shahzeer Karmali
- Dr. Alex Zhuruk
- Dr. Allan Okraine
- Dr. Adam Meneghetti
- Dr. Simon Bergman
- Dr. Amy Neville
- Dr. Krista Harding
- Dr. Artan Reso
- Education of CAGS members through annual CSF meeting, postgraduate courses
- Multimedia guidelines regarding training and privileges to perform basic and advanced laparoscopy and flexible endoscopy (original or based on review of guidelines from other specialty organizations, and in communication with clinical practice Committee)
- Encourage research and development in MIS and Endoscopy; support general surgeons who wish to practice flexible endoscopy
- Interact with industry to encourage sponsorship of CAGS (in communication with CAGS finance Committee)
- Hosts and coordinates the national suturing competition, where the finals are held at the CSF every year.
- Participation in IFSES and the World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery.
- Liaises with SAGES and partners where appropriate to provide Canadian content
Pioneered by Dr. Liane Feldman, the competition is designed for practicing surgeons, surgical residents, medical students and other health professionals who have an interest in technical skills training. The residents representing programs across Canada will participate in this friendly challenge to crown “Canada’s National Champion” in laparoscopic suturing. The competition is designed to promote interest in technical skills training through simulation across Canada. 2017 Suturing competition finals will take place in Victoria September 2017.
Endoscopy Post-Graduate Course
This interactive one-day course is designed by the MIS Committee for practicing surgeons, residents and other health care professionals interested in learning more about endoscopy. It features a four-hour didactic session. The lectures provide education on multiple basic and advanced endoscopic techniques including indications, contraindications, complications, and practical techniques for theses basic and advanced endoscopic procedures. The afternoon will feature a four-hour hands-on skills lab. The hands-on lab will provide participants with an opportunity to practice basic and advanced endoscopic techniques
Eric Poulin Lecture in MIS Surgery and Innovation
In September 2017, the MIS Committee will host a lecture in honour of Dr. Eric Poulin, pioneer in MIS Surgery, at the CSF in Victoria. Dr. Christopher Schlachta will introduce this new named lecture.