- Job Identification
Click here for full posting
|Position Title||Division Head, Division of General Surgery|
|Reports To||Department Head, Department of Surgery|
|Effective Date||Spring 2019|
|Salary Type||Fee for Service|
- POSITION SUMMARY
The Department of Surgery at the Ottawa Hospital is inviting applications for the position of Division Head, Division of General Surgery for a five-year term appointment with the possibility of reappointment for an additional five-year term. The successful applicant is accountable to the Chair & Chief of the Department in fulfilling the mission, vision and goals of the Department, the Hospital(s) and the Faculty, in particular as they relate to the Division. The Division Head holds a joint appointment as the Head of the Division for academics and clinical services. The Division Head has six primary functions in the Department:
- Effective Delivery of Clinical Services:
The Division Head supports and enables the safe and effective delivery of safe and high quality clinical services by the Division.
- Reporting to the Department Head, the Division Head develops, plans, and manages the medical human resources plan of the Division in alignment with the Department and Hospitals
- The Division Head works in close collaboration and coordination with the division medical staff and hospital administrative and governance structures to develop, establish, monitor, manage, and enhance division performance in respect of clinical services targets, quality indicators, and resource utilization targets.
- Strategic Advice and Policy Development:
The Division Head supports and advises the Department Head as required on all hospital strategic and policy initiatives affecting division clinical functions. This may include:
- Directly participating in and supporting the development of the clinical services delivery plans pertaining to Divisional activity
- Advising the Department Head and corresponding Clinical Vice President on medical and clinical matters arising within the Division.
- Participating in the development of guidelines and policies in respect of medical/clinical matters necessary for effective Hospital operation
- Medical administration:
Reporting to the Department Head, the Division Head will be responsible for the effective organization and deployment of the medical staff of the Division, including:
- Developing and implementing the Division physician human resource plan
- Developing and implementing an effective medical leadership and management structure within the Division
- Providing clinical leadership, support, mentoring and coaching to medical staff within the Division
- Supporting hospital systems, policies and processes which address concerns from patients regarding the quality of medical/clinical services
- Managing physician performance/discipline issues in accordance with Hospital policies, bylaws, or as otherwise directed by the MAC or Department Head.
- Providing oversight of overall divisional responsibilities for these functions if site specific leadership positions exist within the Division.
- Quality monitoring and improvement:
Reporting to the Department Head, the Division Head will manage the resources of the Division to achieve delivery of safe and high quality standards of care through:
- Actively monitoring the quality of medical practice within the Division
- Actively monitoring the overall quality of clinical practice within the Division
- Encouraging best clinical/medical practice and continuous quality improvement
- Driving quality improvement initiatives within the Division
- Achieving specific targets and goals as outlined within the hospital quality plan.
As directed by the Department Head, the Division Head will support the function of the Hospital and University of Ottawa as an Academic Health Science Center.
- The Division Head will foster an environment within the division which supports undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training, as well as ongoing professional development of staff.
- The Division Head will work in collaboration with OHRI and the Faculty of Medicine to foster the delivery of research activity within the Division.
- The Head will develop and maintain a mutually supportive relationship between the Ottawa Hospital clinical service and the corresponding University of Ottawa academic department.
Reporting to the Department Head, the Division Head will enable the effective integration of divisional clinical services within the larger regional framework by providing information, advice, and support to the development of regional service plans as and when these become relevant.
- The candidate must be eligible for certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as well as licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario.
- The candidate must have coverage with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA).
- The successful candidate must have demonstrated outstanding knowledge, skills and ethical standing as evidence by strong letters of reference from the Division/Department Head
- Candidates with a MD PhD will be strongly considered.
- Proficiency in both English and French is an asset given the bilingual nature of the affiliated university position.
- Terms of Employment
The income for this position is derived from a variety of sources including but not limited to clinical billings (fee-for-service). Health and welfare benefits including extended health, dental and disability insurance as well as life insurance are offered to full-time surgeons.
- Remuneration Details
$400,000-$450,000 per year
- Additional details
The Ottawa Hospital is a 1150 bed tertiary-care hospital serving Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec at four inpatient sites (Civic, General, Heart Institute, and the Rehabilitation Centre) and one ambulatory centre (Riverside). There are approximately 50,000 inpatient admissions, 160,000 emergency visits and over one million outpatient visits annually.
The city of Ottawa provides a thriving multicultural and bilingual environment. Ottawa boasts numerous cultural activities as well as readily accessible sporting and natural resources, making it an ideal family and healthy living environment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Please submit a letter of intent, curriculum vitae and the name of three referees to the following contact.
Application deadline is December 31, 2018.
c/o Sudhir Sundaresan, MD, FRCS(C), FACS
Wilbert J. Keon Professor
Chair, Department of Surgery, University of Ottawa
Surgeon-in-Chief, The Ottawa Hospital, The University of Ottawa
The Ottawa Hospital – General Campus
W1640-501 Smyth Road