COVID-19 Update (last update: March 20, 2020)
The Canadian Association of General Surgeons holds the safety of our staff, volunteers, and partners as our top priority. For COVID-19 resources, click here.
COVID-19 and impact on CAGS business operations
CAGS has suspended all business travel.
All meetings will be held virtually or postponed until a later date. We are committed to keeping you informed throughout this pandemic.
CAGS staff will work remotely, whenever possible, to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19. The CAGS office will remain open at this time and we will maintain a minimal presence. This is in effect until end-of-day Friday, April 3, although this could change. We will continue to closely monitor the situation.
For more information and updates on the coronavirus outbreak, click here to view our COVID-19 Resources page.
We also endorse the recommendations from our colleagues at the Canadian Medical Association and will actively work to support measures that will benefit our members.
The recommendations are:
- A clear federal recommendation that Canadians uniformly implement social distancing, paired with supportive financial and economic measures;
- Federal leadership to ensure the acquisition and of the domestic supply of personal protective equipment for health care providers, along with the dissemination of clear guidelines on appropriate usage to ensure dissemination to community-based and primary care clinics;
- New federal emergency funding to boost capacity of our health care systems and social supports, and to ensure a consistent and coordinated response by provincial/territorial governments;
- Establishment of emergency pan-Canadian licensure for health care workers;
- Establishment of an emergency National Mental Health Support Service for health care workers;
- Implementation of a targeted tax credit to alleviate the negative financial impacts experienced by health care providers if they are quarantined following patient care.
For more information on the above recommendations please visit this page
We recognize that you as our members are impacted by the situation arising from COVID-19. If there is anything that we can do as your member facing organization please do not hesitate to let us know.
Dr. Paola Fata