We are supporting healthy, sustainable surgical programs for rural Canadians by engaging current and future rural General Surgeons in building mentorship connections.
The CAGS Rural Surgery Mentorship program engages practicing Rural Surgeon mentors and General Surgery Resident mentees through quarterly web-based meetings to discuss the rewards, challenges, and training path to a fulfilling career in rural surgery.
Discussion topics from our 2020/21 program included:
- Building your Rural Surgery Toolkit: How residents can prepare for a career in rural surgery
- Work-Life Balance in rural practice: Living and working in a small community in a positive and healthy way
- Working at the edge of your comfort zone: Managing challenging cases at the edge of your scope of practice or that you don’t see often
- Training Rural Surgeons for the future: Barriers and opportunities in training rural surgeons
The Rural Surgery Mentorship program aims to provide opportunities to grow and support a strong community of engaged current and future rural surgeons, as well as provide professional development for residents through discussion and networking opportunities for possible electives and future employment.
2021-2022 Mentorship Program Sessions
We are currently accepting applications for mentors and mentees interested in participating in our 2021-2022 Program Sessions. All sessions occur via Zoom from 8:00-9:30pm ET.
- September 29, 2021 – Choosing a career in Rural Surgery
- January 12, 2022 – Keeping current, meeting community needs as a Rural Surgeon
- March 30, 2022 – Finding the right fit in Rural Surgery practice
- June 22, 2022 – Sustainability of Rural Surgery in Canada
Attention Rural General Surgeons
We are looking for Rural Surgeon mentors who are engaged and excited by their work and local community to share your experience and passion to inspire the next generation of rural surgeons. If you are looking to expand or transition your practice, the Rural Surgery Mentorship program can also provide opportunities to connect with interested residents who would be a good fit for your community.
Attention General Surgery Residents
We are looking for General Surgery resident mentees from all levels and all parts of the country who are interested in a challenging and diverse career in Rural Surgery. Whether you are learning what rural surgery is all about or are already fully engaged in a rural training path, we want to help you explore all that Rural General Surgery has to offer. Participation in the Rural Surgery Mentorship Program program also provides opportunities to identify future electives and employment.